As colder weather arrives, Metropolitan Utilities District encourages customers to conserve energy to prepare for heating bills. Check out this video for great tips:
To avoid bill fluctuations, customers may join the Budget Payment Plan, which allows you to pay the same bill amount every month. You may join the plan any time of the year. The District also encourages customers to use the following tips to prepare for the heating season and save on their utility bills.
- Have your heating system serviced annually. Properly operating appliances lower utility bills and help prevent carbon monoxide from escaping into your home.
- Lower your thermostat. The Department of Energy estimates savings of about 1 percent for each degree of thermostat adjustment per 8 hours. (Note: People with health concerns may want to raise the thermostat to prevent hypothermia.)
- Clean or replace furnace filters once a month or as needed.
- Lower your water heater to 120 degrees.
- Switch to the cold temperature setting when doing your laundry.
- Clean warm-air registers. Make sure they are not blocked by furniture, carpet or drapes.
- Keep drapes and shades on south-facing windows open during the day for warm sunlight. Close them at night.
- Keep the fireplace damper closed unless a fire is going.
- Check ducts for air leaks. If you use duct tape for repairs, look for the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) logo to avoid tape that degrades, cracks and loses its bond with age.
- Seal leaks around doors, windows and other openings. Make sure you have plenty of insulation in walls and the attic.
- Use kitchen, bath and other ventilating fans wisely. In one hour, these fans can pull out a houseful of warmed air.
- Replace an older furnace with a high-efficiency natural gas model. It can lower heating costs 30 percent or more.
Utility assistance available
M.U.D. understands some customers facing financial hardships may struggle to pay their utility bills. We are committed to working with our customers to discuss payment arrangements and provide information on potential utility assistance funds.
We encourage customers to contact Customer Service at 402.554.6666 to discuss their account. For information on utility assistance, including M.U.D.’s Home Fund, visit mudomaha.com/homefund.