Customers who receive State of Nebraska Energy Assistance Funds may now call the Energy Pledge Hotline at 402-504-7100 to check on the status of an energy pledge.
- Current Customers
- New Customers
- Your Water
- Your Natural Gas
- Your M.U.D.
24 hours a day / 7 days a week
Gas leaks, odor of gas, damaged lines, carbon monoxide symptoms and water main breaks are all considered emergencies.
If you smell gas, do not attempt to locate the leak. Instead, leave the house or building right away. Do not use any electrical switches, appliances, lights, telephones, or mobile devices, as an electrical charge could create a spark. When you are in a safe place, call M.U.D.'s emergency hotline at 402.554.7777 or 9-1-1.
If someone is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately. Symptoms are like the flu.
If you have a water-related emergency, call 402.554.7777. Our personnel are ready to assist you 24/7. When in doubt, call us immediately.Learn More
24 horas del día / 7 días de la semana (24/7)
Las fugas de gas, el olor a gas, las tuberías de gas dañadas, los síntomas de monóxido de carbono y roturas en las tuberías principales de agua son consideradas emergencias.
Si huele a gas, NO trate de localizar la fuga/escape. Al contrario, abandone la casa o el edificio inmediatamente. No utilice los interruptores eléctricos, electrodomésticos, luces, teléfonos o equipos móviles, ya que una carga eléctrica podría provocar una chispa. Una vez que se encuentre en un lugar seguro, entonces llame a la línea directa de emergencia de M.U.D. al 402.554.7777 o al 9-1-1.
Si alguien tiene síntomas de envenenamiento causados por el monóxido de carbono, llame al 9-1-1 inmediatamente. Los síntomas son como los de la gripe/catarro.
Si tiene una emergencia relacionada con el agua, llame al 402.554.7777. Nuestro personal está listo para ayudarle, 24/7. Cuando dude o crea que hay una emergencia, llámenos de inmediato.Aprende Más
Natural gas is an economical, safe, colorless and odorless fuel. For easy detection, we add a chemical to give gas a distinctive odor like skunk or rotten eggs. Natural gas is not poisonous, however it can displace oxygen in a room. Since it is lighter than air, natural gas dissipates quicker than propane or gasoline. While natural gas has a better safety record than any other major form of energy, its use requires caution.
Potential hazards include fire, explosion or suffocation, however natural gas alone will not burn or explode. It needs the right amount of air and an ignition source. More than half of the reported natural gas accidents are caused by people digging before utility lines are marked. Call 811 two business days before digging.
Loss of electrical power to your home does not impact the gas supply to your home or appliances (Note: Gas stoves that are spark ignition will not work without power). Once the power is restored to your home, the power to your appliances may need to be cycled to reset them.
Please contact your HVAC service provider to assist you if your furnace or water heater do not start back up once power is restored.
Before you dig in your yard, call Nebraska 811 or 800.331.5666
Call at least two working days in advance, and ask for a “locate.” Utility representatives will locate and mark all underground (gas, water, electric, phone, cable) lines. There is no charge for the service.
You can send an online request through the Nebraska 811 website at https://www.ne1call.com/
If you damage any underground facilities during your excavation and smell natural gas, first leave the area and then call 911. Then call M.U.D. at 402.554.7777, followed by 811 to report the damages. If water lines are damaged, call a licensed plumber.
Call at least two working days in advance, and ask for a “locate.” Utility representatives will locate and mark all underground (gas, water, electric, phone, cable) lines. There is no charge for the service. You can also submit your request online.
If gas lines are damaged while digging, leave the immediate area and call 911. Then call M.U.D. at 402.554.7777, followed by 811 to report the damage. If water lines are damaged, call a licensed plumber.
In the event of a disaster, turn off all gas appliances as you would if you were leaving your home — like the stove, oven, gas fireplace, etc. If there is a situation where gas needs to be shut off, M.U.D. will take care of it, and keep customers informed via the news media. An uncontrolled release of natural gas may result in fire, explosion or suffocation.
If you have a decreased sense of smell, you may want to buy a “natural gas sensor.” Most models are available for less than $60. They are easy to install and they monitor carbon monoxide, methane (natural gas) and propane. The unit should have the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) seal of approval.
From: U.S. Department of Transportation
Subject: Abnormal Snow and Ice Build-up on Gas Distribution Systems
To conserve energy and reduce heating costs, many of us have turned to wood burning fireplaces and stoves to supplement the heat we receive from our natural gas furnaces.
However, some homes often are too tight to provide adequate air for the safe operation of open-flame heating systems (fireplaces, wood, oil, propane stoves, natural gas furnaces).
After you weatherize your home, you may need to add a combustion air source to prevent backdrafting. Consult with a qualified heating contractor.
Fireplaces require lots of air. If there isn’t enough air to satisfy the requirements of a fireplace or wood stove as well as a furnace or water heater all burning at the same time, the fireplace draft can pull harmful combustion products, such as carbon monoxide, from gas appliances back into the room.
The products of combustion must be continuously removed while the fireplace or stove is operating. In fact, any device that removes air from the home can contribute to backdrafting problems, including:
Start a fire in the fireplace on a cold day and after a few minutes, touch the vent pipe of the furnace, water heater or any space heater. Use caution, the vent may be very hot.
However, if the vent is cold, your fireplace may be creating a dangerous back draft.
Turn down the thermostat and water heater controls. Let the fireplace burn down (if you have glass doors on the fireplace, close them), and call a heating contractor.
For information on carbon monoxide awareness and prevention visit this page.
Cross bores are not an immediate safety hazard. The normal waste water passing through a sewer lateral will not harm a gas pipe. Depending on the location of the cross bore, it may cause a sewer lateral blockage over time. Cross bores can become dangerous if someone attempts to clear the blockage using mechanical cleaning equipment such as augers that can cause the gas pipe to become severed causing natural gas to leak from the pipe and can lead to a deadly explosion.
A sewer lateral is generally installed in a downward slope from a home to the street. Because natural gas is lighter than air, it will go up when released to the atmosphere. If a natural gas pipe is severed inside a sewer lateral, the gas will try to rise which means it travels towards the home rather than into the mainline sanitary sewer.
No, this is a problem that occurs with any company that installs its utility using directional boring. Many utilities including natural gas, power (electricity), telecommunications, and fiber optics are installed throughout the Omaha area and the rest of the nation using directional boring.
Nationally, it is estimated there are two to three cross bores per mile of installed gas pipe. Based on the inspections performed over the past year, M.U.D. has seen quantities similar to the national average in Omaha.
At the beginning of 2011, M.U.D. began inspecting the sewer laterals of all properties in an area where we installed gas pipes using directional boring. M.U.D. construction crews are also placing pink warning tags on the front doors of all homes in areas where direction boring installations are being done. We also compiled a list of all the areas where we installed gas pipes using directional boring in the past. We are in the process of inspecting these areas as well; however it will take several years to complete all of the necessary inspections.