Have you ever called us for an emergency after hours? Chances are you’ll be talking to our dispatchers!
We operate two dispatch areas; one for Field Service and another for Construction. In Field Service, there are seven dispatchers who control the orders and emergency response 24/7. Dispatchers handle many daily orders, phone calls and emergencies. They need to always be ready to handle the stress of any situation that may arise.
Emergencies may include: gas or water main breaks, service leaks, hydrant leaks, explosions, accidents and fires. They promptly dispatch technicians to investigate gas leaks and other urgent orders. They are also required to record and maintain these records.
Other job duties:
- Monitor fire calls and police radios for calls which might involve the District.
- Receive and make telephone and mobile radio calls pertaining to appointments, inspections, verification of orders, re-dating orders, and other internal and external customers and service personnel requests.
- Route and assign work orders, which include gas and water orders, meter reads, tappings, appliance orders, fittings, inspections, and miscellaneous calls.
- Assign and re-assign work orders to service personnel when unexpected circumstances arise.
- Operate mobile radio.
- Process completed and pending work orders and other clerical duties.
In 2014, Field Service handled more than 7,200 emergency gas orders. They dispatched the orders to a service technician on average of under 12 minutes. So, next time you call for an emergency after hours you’re most likely going to be helped by one of these dedicated staff!