Our mission is to provide safe, reliable and cost-effective natural gas and water services to our community, and we are focused on strengthening your confidence in this public utility every day. M.U.D.'s operations are focused on protecting employee safety, public safety and our facilities to continue providing life-essential services, even during disasters and emergencies.
Please use the links below to learn more about safety topics to further protect you, your family or your business.
Water quality and safety
Visit the Water Quality page for information including annual and monthly water quality reports.
Natural gas safety
How to recognize a natural gas leak
SMELL: Recognize the odor which is similar to rotten eggs or sulfur.
SIGHT: See a white cloud, mist, fog, bubbles in standing water or blowing dust. See dead vegetation spots in the grass.
SOUND: Hear an unusual noise like roaring, hissing or whistling.
What to do if you suspect a gas leak
- Move to a safe environment away from the building.
- Do not use your land line phone or cell phone in your home.
- Do not use anything that could produce a spark, ignite the gas and/or cause an explosion. (This means, do not touch/operate light switches, garage doors/openers, matches, candles, lighters, flashlights, motors or appliances).
- Do not assume someone else will report the condition.
- Once you are out of the building/area, call 402.554.7777 or 911 and provide your location.
- Let us know if construction or digging activities are going on in the area.
- There is no charge for checking gas leaks.
What is natural gas and its hazards?
Natural gas is an economical, safe, colorless and odorless fuel. For easy detection, we add a harmless chemical to give gas a distinctive odor like skunk or rotten eggs. Natural gas is not poisonous, however it can displace oxygen in a room. Since it is lighter than air, natural gas dissipates quicker than propane or gasoline. While natural gas has a better safety record than any other major form of energy, its use requires caution.
Potential hazards include fire, explosion or suffocation, however natural gas alone will not burn or explode. It needs the right amount of air and an ignition source. More than half of the reported natural gas accidents are caused by people digging before utility lines are marked. Call 811 two business days before digging.
- Have your natural gas appliances, heating system, chimney and venting systems inspected every year by a qualified heating contractor.
- Use a clean filter. Standard air filters for furnaces need to be cleaned or changed once a month, more often during the heating season. Newer filters may be washable or require less frequent changing. Check the owner’s manual.
- If a pilot light or burner flame goes out, allow ample time for any gas accumulation to escape before relighting. If the problem continues, call M.U.D. at 402.554.6666, or your heating contractor.
- Gas appliances and furnaces need fresh air for proper combustion. Combustion products need to be vented to the outdoors. Keep flues, ducts and vents attached to appliances and heating systems in good condition and clear of obstructions.
- Do not use gas ovens to heat a room or for any purpose other than cooking. It could be dangerous to your safety and may damage the range or oven.
- Teach children about safety around all household appliances.
- Each gas appliance has its own shut-off valve. Know where each is located and how to shut it off in case of a suspected gas leak.
Electrical power outages and natural gas supplies/appliances
Loss of electrical power to your home does not impact the gas supply to your home or appliances (Note: Gas stoves that are spark ignition will not work without power). Once the power is restored to your home, the power to your appliances may need to be cycled to reset them.
Please contact your HVAC service provider to assist you if your furnace or water heater do not start back up once power is restored.
Before you dig in your yard, call Nebraska 811 or 800.331.5666
Call at least two working days in advance, and ask for a “locate.” Utility representatives will locate and mark all underground (gas, water, electric, phone, cable) lines. There is no charge for the service.
You can send an online request through the Nebraska 811 website at https://www.ne1call.com/
If you damage any underground facilities during your excavation and smell natural gas, first leave the area and then call 911. Then call M.U.D. at 402.554.7777, followed by 811 to report the damages. If water lines are damaged, call a licensed plumber.
In the event of a disaster, turn off all gas appliances as you would if you were leaving your home -- like the stove, oven, gas fireplace, etc. If there is a situation where gas needs to be shut off, M.U.D. will take care of it, and keep customers informed via the news media. An uncontrolled release of natural gas may result in fire, explosion or suffocation.
Decreased sense of smell
If you have a decreased sense of smell, you may want to buy a "natural gas sensor." Most models are available for less than $60. They are easy to install and they monitor carbon monoxide, methane (natural gas) and propane. The unit should have the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) seal of approval.
For information on carbon monoxide awareness and prevention visit this page.