Return to News

September News & Updates

Natural Gas Safety Information

If you smell gas, leave fast! Leave the area and then call us at 402.554.7777 or 911. There is no charge.

What to do if you suspect a leak:
  • Move to a safe environment away from the building.
  • Do not use your land line phone or cell phone in your home.
  • Do not use any light switches, matches, candles, lighters, flashlights, motors or appliances.
  • Doing so could produce a spark, ignite the gas and cause an explosion.
  • Call 402.554.7777 or 911 and provide your location.
  • Let us know if construction or digging activities are going on in the area.


Why natural gas smells like rotten eggs

Natural gas has no odor and is invisible. We add a chemical so you can detect a gas leak. The smell is compared to rotten eggs or sulfur.

Decreased sense of smell

If you have a decreased sense of smell, you may want to buy a natural gas sensor. Most models are available for less than $60. They are easy to install and they monitor carbon monoxide, methane (natural gas) and propane. The unit should have the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) seal of approval.

Natural gas is safe when used properly

Natural gas has an excellent safety record, but like all forms of energy, it must be handled with caution. Natural gas alone will not burn or explode; it requires the right amount of air and an ignition source. If inappropriately handled, it may cause a hazardous condition such as a fire, explosion or asphyxiation.

Maintain appliances to avoid carbon monoxide

When burning fossil fuels (wood, propane, oil, natural gas), carbon monoxide (CO) can be produced by lack of air, improperly working appliances or poor flue conditions. If someone is overcome by CO, call 911.

To prevent carbon monoxide:
  • Be sure flue connections and venting are in perfect working order—unobstructed and properly fitted.
  • Have your heating system inspected every year by a qualified heating contractor.
What to do during a disaster

In the event of a disaster, unless there is substantial damage to your home, don’t turn off the gas. Simply turn off all gas appliances — stove, oven, gas fireplace, etc. — as you would if leaving your home.

If there is a situation where gas needs to be shut off, we will take care of it, and keep customers informed via the news media. If you do turn off the gas at the meter, don’t turn it back on. Call Customer Service at 402.554.6666.

New furnaces need a M.U.D. inspection

If a furnace is improperly installed, or is not operating properly, it can result in hazardous conditions.

During inspections, M.U.D. technicians check if the furnace is installed per manufacturer’s guidelines. In addition, they check if the equipment has:

  • Proper venting;
  • Proper amount of gas at maximum heat output;
  • Proper electrical connection/disconnection;
  • Adequate combustion air and
  • Adequate space around it for maintenance.

If you recently installed a new furnace and have not had an inspection, please call 402.504.7949 or 402.554.6666.

Call 811 before you dig

Damage to a pipeline due to excavation activities may cause a gas leak and has the potential to ignite.

Before starting any excavation activity, call 811 or submit a request at at least two business days in advance.

Utility representatives will locate and mark underground utilities (gas, water, electric, phone, cable) lines. There is no charge for the service.

If you smell gas or gas lines are damaged while digging, leave the area and call 911, followed by M.U.D.’s 24-hour emergency number: 402.554.7777. If water lines are damaged, call a licensed plumber.