Return to News

October 2022 Bill Insert: Carbon Monoxide Awareness


Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that can be produced by incomplete combustion when carbon-based materials — wood, propane, charcoal, natural gas, oil, gasoline and kerosene — are burned. CO has no odor or color.

To prevent CO, have a licensed heating contractor inspect your heating system and appliances every year.

CO detectors can provide added protection, however they are not substitutes for proper use and upkeep of appliances. Maintain and inspect detectors to make sure they are in working order.

CO poisoning symptoms are flu-like:

• Headaches

• Dizziness

• Vomiting or nausea

• Weakness and tightness of the chest.

Be suspicious if all members of your family share the same symptoms and the symptoms clear up when you’re outside the house. If symptoms persist, see a doctor. If you are unable to determine the cause, call a licensed heating contractor or our emergency number, 402.554.7777.

Download the insert