District moving to high-visibility uniforms for field staff
Starting in summer 2021, some M.U.D. field employees will begin wearing high-visibility uniforms. These workers include those required to enter customer properties such as meter readers or field technicians.
Uniforms will transition from traditional blue shirts to bright yellow apparel that features reflective striping for improved safety. New high-visibility styles include short-sleeved polos and T-shirts, long-sleeved collared and hooded shirts, and jackets. Employees working at construction sites and responding to emergencies already wear high-visibility safety apparel and will continue to do so.
As a reminder, all M.U.D. employees carry photo ID cards. If someone comes to your door claiming to be with the gas or water company:
- Ask to see their M.U.D. photo ID.
- If you have questions or want to confirm the purpose of a worker at your door, call Customer Service at 402.554.6666.
- If the person is unable to produce valid ID or if you feel threatened, do not let the person in and call the police.
- Remember, M.U.D. does not collect money from customers at their homes or businesses.
New M.U.D. downtown branch to open September 3
On September 3, 2019, Metropolitan Utilities District.’s face-to-face customer services will move from its current location at 1723 Harney Street to the nearby Omaha Public Power District building, 444 S. 16th St. The relocation is necessary because M.U.D.’s building was recently purchased by Douglas County.
M.U.D.’s new branch hours will be Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Staff members will be available to meet with customers on a first-come, first-served basis. Payment kiosks and an ATM will be available for customer convenience.
As public utilities, M.U.D. and OPPD are committed to providing a positive customer service experience. The organizations retain their individual identities and separate operations. However, the opportunity to co-locate walk-in services enables customers of both utilities to conveniently pay bills and handle other business in one location.
Please note: The parking lot at 1723 Harney Street may not be available after August 30. Metered street parking is available. Vehicles with a valid handicap license plate or placard may park at any meter for free.
For your convenience, M.U.D. offers a variety of other payment options:
- Online - you can make one-time or recurring payments in MyAccount.
- Call the automated menu at 402.554.6666.
- Visit a list of banks and Hy-Vee stores that accept payments. (Scroll to the bottom of the page)
- Use the self-service kiosk or drop box at the M.U.D. Operations Center, 3100 S. 61st Ave., Gate 1.