Tips to lower your bill
As colder weather arrives and customers turn up their thermostats, Metropolitan Utilities District encourages customers to conserve energy to prepare for higher heating bills.
The District encourages customers to use the following tips to prepare for the heating season and save on their utility bills:
- Join the Budget Bill Plan, which allows you to pay the same bill amount every month. You may join the plan any time of the year.
- Have your heating system and chimney inspected every year. Properly operating appliances lower utility bills and help prevent carbon monoxide from escaping into your home.
- Lower your thermostat. The Department of Energy estimates savings of about 1 percent for each degree of thermostat adjustment per 8 hours. (Note: Older adults may want to raise the thermostat to prevent hypothermia.)
- Clean or replace furnace filters once a month or as needed.
- Replace an older furnace with a high-efficiency natural gas model. It can lower heating costs 30 percent or more.
- Keep the fireplace damper closed unless a fire is going.
- Check ducts for air leaks. If you use duct tape for repairs, look for the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) logo to avoid tape that degrades, cracks and loses its bond with age.
- Clean warm-air registers. Make sure they are not blocked by furniture, carpet or drapes.
- Keep drapes and shades on south-facing windows open during the day for warm sunlight. Close them at night.
- Use kitchen, bath and other ventilating fans wisely. In one hour, these fans can pull out a houseful of warmed air.
Utility assistance available
M.U.D. understands some customers facing financial hardships may struggle to pay their utility bills. We are committed to working with our customers to discuss payment arrangements and provide information on potential utility assistance funds.
We encourage customers to contact Customer Service at 402.554.6666 to discuss their account. For information on utility assistance, including M.U.D.’s Home Fund, visit mudomaha.com/homefund.
District moving to high-visibility uniforms for field staff
Starting in summer 2021, some M.U.D. field employees will begin wearing high-visibility uniforms. These workers include those required to enter customer properties such as meter readers or field technicians.
Uniforms will transition from traditional blue shirts to bright yellow apparel that features reflective striping for improved safety. New high-visibility styles include short-sleeved polos and T-shirts, long-sleeved collared and hooded shirts, and jackets. Employees working at construction sites and responding to emergencies already wear high-visibility safety apparel and will continue to do so.
As a reminder, all M.U.D. employees carry photo ID cards. If someone comes to your door claiming to be with the gas or water company:
- Ask to see their M.U.D. photo ID.
- If you have questions or want to confirm the purpose of a worker at your door, call Customer Service at 402.554.6666.
- If the person is unable to produce valid ID or if you feel threatened, do not let the person in and call the police.
- Remember, M.U.D. does not collect money from customers at their homes or businesses.