Return to News

March 2021 Bill Insert: Mains and Services


Main: The large pipe laid in or along a street. The main is four inches or more in diameter with a fire hydrant attached to it. M.U.D. is responsible for water mains.

Corporation: A valve connecting the main to the water service line. M.U.D. is responsible for the corporation.

Service Line: The pipe from your house to our main. If the main is across the street, the service runs under the street. A private line connects to the closest main when there is no main adjacent to your property. The property owner owns and maintains the water service line.

Curb Stop/Stop Box: Provides access to the curb stop or valve. Usually located between the back of the curb and property line. If the stop box is too high, it may be a hazard for anyone walking over it and should be lowered. You are responsible for maintenance of the stop box. It must remain accessible and operable.

Meter: Measures the amount of water used. The property owner owns the water meter. However, M.U.D. maintains it, and must have access to the meter for readings and maintenance. M.U.D. will replace it if it is defective.


Mains: Buried water pipes can break or leak. M.U.D. may find leaks on routine checks. However, if you are aware of a leak, call us at 402.554.6666. When the leak is from a main, M.U.D. will repair it.

Service Lines: M.U.D. issues notices for leaking or broken water services. Codes require that repairs be made by a master plumber, licensed by your city. Before any repairs are made, a permit from M.U.D. is required.

Your plumber determines if the water service can be repaired, or will advise you of options. You may call us to verify the type of repair needed. The property owner is responsible for making sure repairs are made. Please note: If you have a service line made of lead, repair is not an option and the line must be replaced in its entirety. You may call us at 402.554.6666 to verify the type of service line you have.

Water will be turned off when the leaking or broken service line causes damage, is a safety hazard, or if you fail to make arrangements for repair. The property owner is responsible for disconnect charges.

Water service lines may not be relocated, repaired or modified without a permit from M.U.D. Any work must be inspected by the District.

Graphic depicting property owner's responsibility



Natural gas is delivered to neighborhoods through gas mains in the street and then fed to individual homes and businesses through underground service lines.

Graphic of natural gas lines

Gas Main: Pipe laid in or along a street. The main usually is one inch or more in diameter. M.U.D. is responsible for maintenance, repair and location of the mains.

Gas Service Line: Most customers have a gas service—the line laid from your house to the main. If the main is across the street, the service may run under the street. M.U.D. owns and maintains the gas service line.

Gas Meter: Measures the volume of gas used. M.U.D. owns the gas meter and maintains it. We must have access to the meter for readings and maintenance. We replace the meter if it is defective.

Fuel Lines: The property owner owns and is responsible for the fuel lines on the “house side” of the meter. The fuel line begins after the meter as shown above. Some fuel lines are installed underground. If an underground fuel line is not maintained, it may be subject to potential hazards of corrosion (rust) and leaks.

1. Inspect the buried fuel line periodically for leaks.

2. If the buried fuel line is metal, inspect it periodically for corrosion.

3. Repair any unsafe condition.

Contact a qualified plumber or heating contractor to provide location, inspection and repair services for buried fuel lines. M.U.D. does not repair or locate customer-owned fuel lines.


You may request that M.U.D. install an Excess Flow Valve (EFV), a mechanical shut-off device on the natural gas service line to your property. The EFV is installed on the service pipeline that runs underground between the gas main and the gas meter on your property.


An EFV is designed to significantly reduce the flow of gas if the service line outside of the structure becomes damaged, lessening the possibility of a natural gas fire, explosion, personal injury and/or property damage. EFVs are NOT designed to close if a leak occurs beyond the gas meter (on house piping or appliances). EFVs also may not close if the leak on the service line is small. If you add gas appliances, like a pool heater or emergency generator, there is a possibility that the additional gas flow may cause the EFV to close.


Federal law did not require EFVs to be installed on newly constructed homes until June 2008. If your home was built before June 2008, you most likely do not have an EFV installed on the service line to your home. EFVs are installed on most new or replaced services lines built since June 2008. To find out if you already have an EFV on your service line, call Customer Service at 402.554.6666 (Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-5:15 p.m.).


Customers who want to have an EFV installed on their service line that was installed prior to June 2008 may do so at their expense. If you notify us that you want an EFV, we will contact you to set up a mutually agreeable date to install it. You will be responsible for the installation cost of $800 (installment plans are available).

Note: EFVs cannot be installed on some service lines due to high gas flow, low distribution system pressure or other factors. Each situation will be evaluated upon request.


HomeServe USA, an independent provider of home repair service solutions, is offering M.U.D. residential water homeowners an optional coverage plan to help protect your exterior water service line at a preferred price.


Homeowners are responsible for the water service line from the water main into the home. Repairs to these exterior water service lines damaged from normal wear and tear aren’t usually covered by homeowners insurance, and a plan from HomeServe helps protect you from expensive repairs caused by normal wear and tear. HomeServe works as a “one stop shop” to alleviate the stress that comes from finding a contractor, getting bids and paying the final bill, up to the benefit amount.


Purchasing a plan is completely optional, and we encourage homeowners to research the program’s benefits before enrolling. Please consider your situation, including the age of your home, the age and material of the water service line and your ability to pay for this coverage.

For more information, visit or call HomeServe at 1-833-805-6754.

Coverage is subject to eligibility requirements, exclusions and terms and conditions. See the HomeServe website or call for information. To opt out of future mailings, call HomeServe at 1-833-805-6754 and select Option 2.

Note: M.U.D. did not share customer contact information with HomeServe. Zip codes identifying District boundaries were provided and HomeServe obtained the mailing list from a third-party vendor


Download the insert