Note: If your income has been negatively impacted by COVID-19, you can now apply for CARES Act utility assistance at: https://www.mudomaha.com/covid19relief. Apply for up to $1,200 per household.
After more than 37 years, our Heat Aid Fund has a new name: Home Fund. This change reflects our commitment to ensuring our customers' houses continue to feel like homes.
The fund, established to assist seniors, people with disabilities and limited-income customers suffering severe financial hardships, has raised nearly $4.5 million and served more than 35,000 households.
With a new name comes a new look, and the centerpiece of our new logo directly relates to the mission of providing utility assistance by connecting customers in need with the community.
The SHIELD symbolizes protection, strength and a firm foundation.
The HOME represents a place of safety, comfort and peace.
The HEART embodies the love and generosity of donors.
M.U.D. Home Fund -- Connecting those in need with those who can help.
There is a growing need for assistance in our community and the continued success of the fund depends on donations from generous employees, fundraising events and kind-hearted people like you.
Make a donation.
Are you interested in helping someone stay in their home? We've made it easy for you to give, and 100% of your donation goes directly to helping customers in need.
1. To make an online, one-time donation, click the button below:
2. Mail your donation to:
Metropolitan Utilities District
Attn: Home Fund
7350 World Communications Dr.
Omaha, NE 68122-4041
3. Write an amount on the front of your monthly bill to begin a monthly pledge.
4. Add a one-time or recurring donation to your bill online. Complete the Contact Us form by selecting "Energy Assistance" and the appropriate sub-category. Be sure to indicate the amount you'd like to donate in the message.
Your donation may be tax-deductible to the extent allowed by the law. Consult your tax adviser if you have questions.
If you need help paying your utility bills, the first step is to contact the Nebraska Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Go online to ACCESSNebraska at dhhs-access-neb-menu.ne.gov/start or call 402.595.1258 (Omaha area) or 1.800.383.4278 (Outside Omaha).
If you are not currently eligible to receive assistance through ACCESSNebraska, we encourage you to click the button below to visit one of our partnering agencies and be connected to utility assistance programs. Or you may call Customer Service at 402.554.6666 to speak with a representative.
To be eligible for assistance, applicants must have verification of a past-due balance or disconnection notice and:
- Be experiencing an acute financial crisis due to a verifiable emergency (illness, death, layoff, etc.) and have exhausted alternative resources, and
- Have an income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level, and/or
- The household contains one or more individuals who are 60+ and the only source of income is social security.
- Applicants are automatically income-eligible if they currently receive government assistance (ie. SNAP, LIHEAP, ADC, Medicaid, AABD).
- If you do not meet any of the eligibility requirements in this section and are experiencing an acute financial crisis, reach out to a partnering agency to determine eligibility.
Assistance is limited to $500 per fiscal year, per household and can be used for deposit assistance.
If you have questions about eligibility, please click the button below to contact a partnering agency.
Note: Clicking the above button will direct you to the Agency Finder on our partner website, Dollar Energy Fund.