Emergency Hotline:


24 hours a day / 7 days a week



24 horas del día / 7 días de la semana (24/7)

What is an Emergency?

Gas leaks, odor of gas, damaged lines, carbon monoxide symptoms and water main breaks are all considered emergencies.

If you smell gas, do not attempt to locate the leak. Instead, leave the house or building right away. Do not use any electrical switches, appliances, lights, telephones, or mobile devices, as an electrical charge could create a spark. When you are in a safe place, call M.U.D.'s emergency hotline at 402.554.7777 or 9-1-1.

If someone is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately. Symptoms are like the flu.

If you have a water-related emergency, call 402.554.7777. Our personnel are ready to assist you 24/7. When in doubt, call us immediately.


Las fugas de gas, el olor a gas, las tuberías de gas dañadas, los síntomas de monóxido de carbono y roturas en las tuberías principales de agua son consideradas emergencias.

Si huele a gas, NO trate de localizar la fuga/escape. Al contrario, abandone la casa o el edificio inmediatamente. No utilice los interruptores eléctricos, electrodomésticos, luces, teléfonos o equipos móviles, ya que una carga eléctrica podría provocar una chispa. Una vez que se encuentre en un lugar seguro, entonces llame a la línea directa de emergencia de M.U.D. al 402.554.7777 o al 9-1-1.

Si alguien tiene síntomas de envenenamiento causados por el monóxido de carbono, llame al 9-1-1 inmediatamente. Los síntomas son como los de la gripe/catarro.

Si tiene una emergencia relacionada con el agua, llame al 402.554.7777. Nuestro personal está listo para ayudarle, 24/7. Cuando dude o crea que hay una emergencia, llámenos de inmediato.

Learn More
Metropolitain Utilites District
I want to:

Home Fund

Need utility assistance?

If you need help paying your utility bills, the first step is to contact the Nebraska Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Go online to ACCESSNebraska at dhhs-access-neb-menu.ne.gov/start or call 402.595.1258 (Omaha area) or 1.800.383.4278 (Outside Omaha). If you have been financially impacted by the pandemic, see the next section for state and local relief programs available to homeowners and renters.

If you are not currently eligible to receive assistance through ACCESSNebraska, we encourage you to click the button below to visit one of our partnering agencies and be connected to utility assistance programs. Or you may call Customer Service at 402.554.6666 to speak with a representative. To be eligible for assistance, applicants must have verification of a past-due balance or disconnection notice and:

  • Be experiencing an acute financial crisis due to a verifiable emergency (illness, death, layoff, etc.) and have exhausted alternative resources, and
  • Have an income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level, and/or
  • The household contains one or more individuals who are 60+ and the only source of income is social security.
  • Applicants are automatically income-eligible if they currently receive government assistance (ie. SNAP, LIHEAP, ADC, Medicaid, AABD).
  • If you do not meet any of the eligibility requirements in this section and are experiencing an acute financial crisis, reach out to a partnering agency to determine eligibility.

Assistance is limited to $500 per fiscal year, per household and can be used for deposit assistance.

If you have questions about eligibility, please click the button below to contact a partnering agency.



Note: Clicking the above button will direct you to the Agency Finder on our partner website, Dollar Energy Fund.

dollar energy fund logo

Other resources:

Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) Utility Assistance:

A separate application must be filled out for OPPD utility assistance.

NEW - Nebraska Homeowner Assistance Fund (NHAF):

Need help to stay in your home? Assistance is available for eligible Nebraska homeowners. Learn more and apply for assistance with past due payments for your mortgage, utilities/internet, property taxes, insurance and/ or homeowners’ association dues. For more information visit the NHAF website or review a flyer below.

Emergency Rental Assistance Programs:

State of Nebraska Emergency Rental Assistance Program:

This program is open to customers who reside outside of Douglas County. For more information, check out these FAQs.

    Can you help?

    After more than 38 years, our Heat Aid Fund has a new name: Home Fund. This change reflects our commitment to ensuring our customers' houses continue to feel like homes. The fund, established to assist seniors, people with disabilities and limited-income customers suffering severe financial hardships, has raised nearly $4.5 million and served more than 35,000 households. 

    home fund logo

    M.U.D. Home Fund -- Connecting those in need with those who can help. 

    There is a growing need for assistance in our community and the continued success of the fund depends on donations from generous employees, fundraising events and kind-hearted people like you.

    Make a donation.

    Are you interested in helping someone stay in their home? We've made it easy for you to give, and 100% of your donation goes directly to helping customers in need.

    1. To make an online, one-time donation, click the button below:



    2. Mail your donation to:

              Metropolitan Utilities District
              Attn: Home Fund
              7350 World Communications Dr.
              Omaha, NE 68122-4041

    3. Write an amount on the front of your monthly bill to begin a monthly pledge. If you would like to round up your bill every month, write "Round Up" in the "Other" line.

    bill sample

    4. Add a one-time or recurring donation to your bill online. Complete the Contact Us form by selecting drop-down menu "Donate to Utility Assistance" and the appropriate sub-category. Be sure to indicate the amount you'd like to donate in the message. If you want to sign up to round up your bill every month, select the sub-category "Enroll in the Round Up Your Bill." Please note that you will need your M.U.D. account number handy when completing the form.

    Your donation may be tax-deductible to the extent allowed by the law. Consult your tax adviser if you have questions.

    Sidebar YouTube ID
    Introducing the Home Fund, kyeUgtjVh2E
    Donate to Home Fund, qzlFyw_qa20