Emergency Hotline:


24 hours a day / 7 days a week



24 horas del día / 7 días de la semana (24/7)

What is an Emergency?

Gas leaks, odor of gas, damaged lines, carbon monoxide symptoms and water main breaks are all considered emergencies.

If you smell gas, do not attempt to locate the leak. Instead, leave the house or building right away. Do not use any electrical switches, appliances, lights, telephones, or mobile devices, as an electrical charge could create a spark. When you are in a safe place, call M.U.D.'s emergency hotline at 402.554.7777 or 9-1-1.

If someone is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately. Symptoms are like the flu.

If you have a water-related emergency, call 402.554.7777. Our personnel are ready to assist you 24/7. When in doubt, call us immediately.


Las fugas de gas, el olor a gas, las tuberías de gas dañadas, los síntomas de monóxido de carbono y roturas en las tuberías principales de agua son consideradas emergencias.

Si huele a gas, NO trate de localizar la fuga/escape. Al contrario, abandone la casa o el edificio inmediatamente. No utilice los interruptores eléctricos, electrodomésticos, luces, teléfonos o equipos móviles, ya que una carga eléctrica podría provocar una chispa. Una vez que se encuentre en un lugar seguro, entonces llame a la línea directa de emergencia de M.U.D. al 402.554.7777 o al 9-1-1.

Si alguien tiene síntomas de envenenamiento causados por el monóxido de carbono, llame al 9-1-1 inmediatamente. Los síntomas son como los de la gripe/catarro.

Si tiene una emergencia relacionada con el agua, llame al 402.554.7777. Nuestro personal está listo para ayudarle, 24/7. Cuando dude o crea que hay una emergencia, llámenos de inmediato.

Learn More
Metropolitain Utilites District
I want to:


Customer Service

Why do you charge reconnect fees?

Reconnection fees are charged to pay for a portion of the service technician’s time associated with the reconnect and to establish the new account in our system. For current fee information, check the Billing Price Book link in Related Resources on the Rates & Fees page.

What if I'm not home when the meter reader arrives?

If you have an inside meter(s) and no one is home during the day, you may be eligible for an encoder, receiver, transmitter (ERT) device which allows us to read your meter via radio signals, or we can set up special arrangements to read the meter(s).

Please call Customer Service at 402.554.6666 or submit your question via the Contact Us page.


What are ERTs?

Your home may have an encoder, receiver, transmitter (ERT) device which allows us to read your meter via radio signals and save money on meter reading costs. For more information on ERTs, call 402.554.6666 or e-mail us.

Can I schedule the time to read my meters?

We read your meter eight times a year and will give you the dates. Call 402.554.6666 or e-mail us to request a schedule.

Why do you estimate bills?

We estimate bills if we are unable to obtain an actual reading.

May I change the due date on my bill?

No. The due date is determined by when your meter is read and based on a certain number of days from which a bill is generated.

Will you take a post-dated check?

No. Post-dated checks are not considered legal tender.

What is therm billing?

Therm billing is an equitable method of billing for the natural gas you buy from us, based on the energy content of the gas.

Natural gas expands in volume depending on the elevation of your home or business. Also, our gas comes from different wellfields, therefore energy content can vary.

By recognizing these two variables and converting them to British thermal units (Btus), you pay for the amount of energy used instead of the volume of gas.

Do I still receive a bill if my payment is deducted from my checking or savings account?

Yes. You will receive a bill statement approximately 15 days before the payment is withdrawn from your financial institution. This gives you time to contact us if you have a question about the bill.

Is a signed application required to begin M.U.D. service?

No. By accepting service from us, you show that you accept and agree to the terms and conditions of our service agreement. This does not change any other agreements you may have with M.U.D.

Is a security deposit required to begin M.U.D. service?

If you are a residential customer, a security deposit or a way to waive deposit is required. Ways to waive the deposit include:

  • Previous Customer - prior customer with good payment history

  • Current customer with good payment history

  • Letter of credit reference from another utility, showing the last year's good payment history

  • Co-signer – a personal guarantor - must be a current M.U.D. customer with recent 24 months of excellent payment history

  • Homeowner – first-time M.U.D. customer purchasing real estate

  • Recurring payments – customer must sign up online for recurring eCheck within 30 days of starting service

If a security deposit is required, arrangements must be made before we can open an account. After 12 consecutive months of timely payments, the residential deposit will be refunded upon request to your account.

A form of security deposit is required for all new commercial accounts. Commercial customers have the option to use a cash deposit as a form of security, an irrevocable letter of credit from a bank, or a surety bond from an insurance company. We will refund the deposit on commercial accounts upon request following three years of timely bill payments.

For more details, please call Customer Service at 402.554.6666 or email us at customer_service@mudnebr.com.

Who is responsible for paying for M.U.D. services?

The customer of record is responsible for all usage at the premises. Any consumption found between parties will be billed to the owner of record of the property. Use will be billed monthly at rates established by the Board of Directors.

Why do I get charged something on my bill when I have been gone or not used any gas or water?

There is a minimum service charge for gas and water to cover costs for meter maintenance and replacement; leak detection; maintenance and replacement of mains and services; meter reading; billing and Credit Services.

What happens if I fail to pay my M.U.D. bill?

You may receive notice that you are subject to shutoff. For bill paying arrangements, call Customer Service, 402.554.6666. Business hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Once service/services are shut off for non-payment please contact Customer Service to make arrangements for payment. If paying on-line or through the IVR phone option, this will not automatically restore your service.  You must call Customer Service to verify payment and set an appointment for service activation. Your services will be turned back on promptly. 

If a shut-off of your utilities occurs for non-payment, there is a turn-on fee. The fee is posted in the Billing Price Book, updated annually. To access the book, look for the link in Related Resources on the Rates & Fees page.

Can my service be disconnected in winter?

Disconnection of service is a last resort when a customer's bill has gone unpaid. However, if your bill remains unpaid and no payment arrangements are made, we may disconnect your service during the heating season.

If you have difficulty paying your bill, call us at 402.504.7002 right away so we can work with you and avoid service interruption. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.

How do I cancel service?

Call 402.554.6666, or if outside the calling area, 1.800.732.5864. We need at least two working days' notice and access to the meter(s) to discontinue service.

How do I establish service if I move to a different address?
Call 402.554.6666 or outside the calling area at 800.732.5864 to arrange for service to be established at a new address or disconnected at an old address.

We need at least two working days' notice and access to the meter(s) to disconnect service. There is a charge to connect to a different address.

What happens if my meter quits working?

If a meter is defective, it will be replaced and the amount of service will be estimated. In the event of a leak or damage to the meters and pipes on the customer's premises, service may be discontinued until repairs are made. Call Customer Service, 402.554.6666, to schedule a service call.

Do I have to provide access to meters?

Yes. District personnel must have access to meters at all hours for any reasonable purpose. The District reserves the right to discontinue service at any time in the event of fraud, illegal or unsafe use of services or violation of District rules.

Who is responsible for protecting M.U.D. property on the premises?

Our service agreement with you states that you shall safeguard and provide adequate protection for District property located on your premises.

Can you interrupt my service without notice?

Yes. However, we will make a reasonable effort to notify you of temporary service interruptions to make repairs to the system. In the event of an emergency, such as a main break or where considerable damage may be caused, your service may be interrupted without notification.