The Heat Aid Fund was established by M.U.D. in 1983 and is administered by several agencies. The Fund has served more than 35,000 customers since its inception.
How it works - If you need help to pay utility bills, the first step is to contact the Nebraska Energy Assistance Program at 1.800.383.4278 or apply on-line.
More resources - Call 211, the United Way of the Midlands call center, for referral to other community resources.
- Recipients must have received a shut-off notice and have made an attempt to qualify for assistance under other governmental programs.
- The applicant must reside in the District's service area, be age 60 or older; or disabled (proof of disability is required); or be in a crisis situation.
- No more than $500 per household in a heating season.
- Applicants have to work with local agency on general budgeting skills and have a consistent payment history.
Donate - All donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Consult your tax adviser if you have questions. Ways to give:
- Write an amount on the front of your bill statement as a one-time gift or specify an amount to begin a monthly pledge. Heat-Aid contributions may be changed or canceled at any time by calling M.U.D., 402.554.6666.
- Download and complete Give to Heat Aid (located at left in 'Related Resources') and send to:
Heat Aid Fund
Metropolitan Utilities District
7350 World Communications Dr.
Omaha, NE 68122-4041