Metropolitan Utilities District established the Heat Aid Fund in 1983 and contracts with The Salvation Army to administer the program.
Since its inception, the Fund has served approximately 30,000 customers, including older adults, people with disabilities and families in crisis. The fund distributes $200,000 on average each year to help customers pay their heating bills.
There are several ways to donate to the Fund:
• Write an amount on your M.U.D. bill statement to begin a monthly pledge.
• Include a one-time contribution in your monthly M.U.D. bill.
• Visit www.mudomaha.com, complete a contribution form and send to M.U.D.
• Mail contributions directly to: Heat Aid Fund, Salvation Army, 10755 Burt St., Omaha, NE 68114. Your gift will be acknowledged.
• Participate in the Heat the Streets Run, or Walk for Warmth in March, 2014 at Midtown Crossing.
If you need help to pay heating bills, the first step is to contact the Nebraska Energy Assistance Program at 800.383.4278 or apply on-line at www.dhhs.ne.gov. To find out more about Heat Aid Fund eligibility requirements, please call The Salvation Army at 402.898.5966.